9.24.2013

Simple Fabric Button Earrings

Confession: I am a fabric hoarder. I love sewing and when I see fabric I like, I have to have it.  I've gotten a lot better (especially since I'm running out of space in my sewing room, yikes!) but I have so many scraps of cute fabric that I swear I'm going to do something with and I never do.  This project is the one of the BEST fabric stash busters, because you hardly need any fabric at all (great to use up the tiny, bitsy scraps that I have no business keeping but can't bear to throw out) and you get to showcase your cute fabric finds on your ears while you're out and about. ;)


These are the most fun, easy, quick little earrings that you can possibly make!  They are made just using cover buttons and your fabric scraps, and honestly take only 5 minutes. These would make perfect little birthday gifts for friends, and how fun would it be to make these in matching fabrics for every outfit!? Cover buttons come in lots of different sizes, so make sure to pick ones that would be good for earrings.


Fabric Button Earrings How-to

Supplies
  • Fabric scraps
  • Cover buttons
  • Earring backs
  • Super glue (I used E6000)
  • Pliers
  • Scissors



  1. Use the pattern on the box of buttons to cut out two circles of your fabric.
  2. Using pliers, pull out the button shank and discard it.  (The shank is the squiggly piece of wire you can see in the second photo above)
  3. Place the circle of fabric on the front of the button, and begin gathering it in toward the center of the button back--catching it on the teeth-like hooks around the edge.
  4. Continue gathering until all edges of the fabric are caught on the hooks.  Double check the front side of the button to make sure there aren't any folds or puckers as you go.
  5. Snap the back of the button on, which will secure the fabric in place.
  6. Use super glue to attach an earring back to the middle back of the button.  Let dry.



These earrings are so fun and so quick, I want to make them to match every outfit!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments

Post a Comment